Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 6

"What do you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?"


http://www.clipartbest.com/elementary-school-clipart
     In the first two videos with Anthony Capp and Dr. Strange, Project Based Learning Part 1 and Project Based Learning Part 2, I learned that it is important to know how to be an effective project based teacher.  Any teacher can use projects to try and teach students, but are they using them in a proper manner?  Teachers should make them fun and interesting.  Teachers should never put a "lid" on the creative abilities of a student.  Anthony gives a great example of how he brought a current news headline to life by taking it back into history for his students. It is the teachers job to spark an interest about the subject in the student.  It was a great reminder as a future educator that projects can be fun and effective.  When I was a student, I had a dislike for projects.  This video helped me to see that projects can be an effective way for students to relax and learn in their own way.
     The second two videos that I watched were iCurio and Discovery Education. iCurio is an incredible search engine for students.  This is a great search engine mainly because it eliminates the negative or inappropriate things that typical search engines can provide. Students can explore images, videos, and lots of other content. It has opportunities for the students be organized by exploring and saving their data. Discovery Education is also a search engine that is great and safe for students. This search engine teaches information through video.  I have never heard of this before until this assignment.  I am very interested and think that this could be very helpful to students. In my opinion, since children are so engaged in media, I feel that they will be more apt to learn because it is in video format. 
     The fourth video that I watched was The Anthony - Strange Tips for Teachers Part 1. In this video, Anthony and Dr. Strange shared many tips to being an educator.  Some of their tips were to never stop learning, to be flexible, that hard work is necessary to gain the rewards of the job, to always give 100%, start with a ending goal, and to always reflect on the work or experience. I feel that all of these tips are very important and key to being a successful teacher. These tips will not only help me, but they will help my students succeed also.  I hope to gain and use all of these tips as a teacher one day.
     The fifth video I watched was Don't Teach Tech - Use It. Anthony gives a great example of using technology but not teaching it.  He has his students make a video of themselves talking about what they have learned and use iMovie. He gives standards and instructions for the assignments but does not teach them specifically how to use iMovie. He wants and encourages his students to learn how to operate iMovie on their own. Technology is important to students as well as teachers.  As someone who uses technology on a daily basis for many different tasks, I feel it is easiest to learn how to use technology by using it and exploring it yourself. I feel that having someone try to sit and explain what to do only makes it confusing and overwhelming.  I agree with Anthony about using technology and allowing the students to explore it, but not teaching them every detail of it. 
     The sixth and final video I viewed was General Thought About Lessons.  So far lesson plans have been very overwhelming to me. Anthony shows us that we have to think about the big picture. We must think about the whole year and what must be learned by the end of the year to determine what will be taught on a certain day.  He also explains that lesson plans must connect.  Making a connection between Monday's lesson and Thursday's lesson is important.  Personally, I have never thought about the connection of each weekday's vs. the full year's lessons until I viewed this video. Connecting the lessons from the day to day or week to week will allow the students to feel and see that they are learning. It will make a larger impact. He definitely shows a different side to lesson planning that I have never seen before.  I am inspired to look at the big picture and to make connections for bigger impacts. 


1 comment: